Oleg Anatolievich Zhuravsky, President of the First Self-regulatory Organization of Russian Bookmakers Dies
Friday, the industry learned of the death of Oleg Zhuravsky, one of Russia’s biggest icons in the online betting industry . Zhuravsky was the first Self-Regulatory Organization of Russian Bookmakers President, and was a former President of a Russian betting operator.
Zhuravsky passed just days after celebrating his 48th birthday. He began his Russian betting career back in 1997 and he also founded the first industry group in the country and then the National Association of Russian Bookmakers in 2006. He worked closely with government officials to ensure legal environments for his country.
His death took the industry by storm with many operators, past colleagues and punters reaching out across social media. His first founded betting site commented saying he praised Oleg for many things including having “wrote bookmaking history in our country.” They also commented that when others feared to act Zhuravsky was “without exaggeration, the most discussed character” in the countrys gambling industry.
Zhuravsky played a huge role every second of his involvement in the industry including the authorization and legalization of online sports betting in the country.
Notable Industry Accomplishments
- 1997 – present – Chairman of the Board of Directors in organizations involved in the bookmaking industry in Russia;
- 2006 – 2012 – founded and headed the National Association of Bookmakers of Russia;
- 2008 – founded and headed “Liga Stavok” bookmaking company;
- 2009 – founded “Oscar Yard” Elite Bookmaking Club – the first premium-class bookmaking establishment in Russia;
- 2009 – 2012 – headed The Union of National Lotteries, Bookmakers and Totalizators;
- 2013 – present – President of the First Self-regulatory Organization of Bookmakers;
Zhuravsky is survived by his wife, five grandchildren and five children. He will surely be missed by many!